I love outdoor activities, and riding a motorcycle helps me feel free and independent. Usually, I go for solo rides, which help me rediscover myself. The other day, one of my co-workers complained about being stuck in a situation at work. We were in different departments, so all I could do was console her. I suggested taking a road trip riding a motorcycle as it helps me most of the time. She said she had never done something like this before, so I accompanied her and invited some of my rider friends. My co-worker was delighted, and that day, she went shopping for boots, a new helmet, riding gear, a leather motorcycle jacket and whatnot.
We all met at the said location and started our journey. It was just 45 minutes, and we decided to take a break at a gas station. I looked at my co-worker and understood something must have bothered her. Without wasting any time, I went straight to her and asked, to which she replied her new leather jacket had been discomforting. Without pausing, she looked at my jacket and asked how I felt so comfortable wearing the same jacket. As a regular rider, I know the importance of softening a new leather jacket. It was my mistake that I missed out on telling her the same. I told her the same and wanted to know how to soften the new leather motorcycle jacket. I told her how it could be done so easily, but she hardly could follow. So, I promised to guide her through the process once we returned from the road trip.
We resumed our journey, and as a part of rediscovering myself, I realised many other people can be unaware of the method and may be facing the same discomfort. The thought inspired me to develop this guide, presenting some of the easiest methods to soften a new leather jacket.
Preparations Required for Softening a Leather Jacket:
- Checking the jacket for any defects or damage:
Well, we often tend to soften the new leather jacket, where the chances of damage are less. However, you can’t take a chance since once the damage is done, there is no coming back from it. So, before you start softening the leather jacket, examine it properly. Check for any pre-done damages or defects, like scuffs, scratches, or tears in the leather.
I suggest paying attention to the seams, zippers, and buttons. If you can find any kind of damage, consider repairing it first to prevent disturbing the jacket’s integrity.
- Cleaning the jacket before softening:
In the case of my co-worker, she already used her jacket during the trip. I am sure most people realise the importance of softening the leather jacket after they feel the discomfort after wearing it. So, cleaning a leather jacket before starting the softening process is important.
You can simply use a cloth or sponge. Damp it with warm water and gently wipe away the dirt, dust or debris from the jacket. From my experience, I found that even if I didn’t use the jacket, it still had some debris which might have collected by hanging on the corner of the showroom. That’s why I never risk skipping this part. Once cleaned, let the jacket air dry naturally. But don’t let the jacket come in contact with direct sunlight or heat sources.
Easy Methods for Softening a News Leather Jacket:
1. Conditioning with leather conditioner
- Step 1: Choosing a suitable leather conditioner: Picking the right leather conditioner can be difficult, but it is also very important. Rely on a high-quality conditioner made explicitly for motorcycle jackets. Don’t forget to ensure that the conditioner has no harsh chemicals or ingredients on it that can cause damage to your jacket.
- Step 2: Applying the conditioner to the jacket: Once you know you have picked the right conditioner, put a small amount on the jacket and rub it in circular motions. I suggest evenly distributing the conditioner across the jacket’s entire surface.
- Step 3: Massaging and working the conditioner into the leather: After evenly applying, let it rest for a while. The next step is to massage the conditioner into the leather using gentle pressure. Put extra effort into areas that feel stiff or less supple. Keep doing the same unless the conditioner is absorbed by the leather completely. Leave it overnight to let the conditioner penetrate the leather fibres.
- Step 4: Rinse it off: Rinse it off the next day and allow it to try naturally, without direct contact with any heat source or direct sunlight.
2. Using natural oils
- Step 1: Selecting appropriate natural oils for leather softening: If you are also like my co-worker who hates using chemicals, you may opt for this method, which uses natural oils to soften your jacket. Like the leather conditioner, you must select the right natural oil for your leather jacket. I suggest going for coconut oil, almond oil, or mink oil, as all of these have conditioning properties.
- Step 2: Applying the oil to the jacket: Apply a small amount of your preferred oil using a clean cloth. Proceed by gently rubbing the cloth over the jacket’s entire surface, specifically focusing on areas that need softening.
- Step 3: Allowing the oil to soak and penetrate the leather: Give the jacket a nice and long resting time. I suggest leaving it overnight.
- Step 4: Wipe off: Take a clean cloth to wipe off all the excess oil the following day. And your jacket will be soft and ready to use.
3. Using a leather softening spray
- Step 1: Spraying the jacket evenly: This is one of the simplest and most convenient ways to soften a new leather jacket. There are different types of leather softening sprays available in the market. Select the one that is specifically designed for motorcycle jackets. Start by spraying the jacket with the softener. I suggest keeping a few inches between the jacket and the spray bottle. Cover the entire surface and pay special attention to areas that feel stiff or less flexible.
- Step 2: Letting the spray absorb into the leather: The magic lies in patience. So, let the solution get absorbed into the leather. Besides you can also follow the recommended duration specified by the manufacturer. The time may vary from one product to the other. From my experience, it usually takes 2 to 3 hours.
- Step 3: Rub the jacket with a soft cloth: Once your jacket is done resting, gently rub the jacket with a soft cloth. Distribute the product and clear all the remaining with a piece of cloth. And that’s it; you can now say hello to your soft and comfortable leather jacket.
While writing and researching for this article, I enjoyed and learned a few new things. I tried the natural oil method for the first time while helping my co-worker, and it worked great. I have used other methods several times, and they also work great. So, regardless of which method you rely on, you will surely get great outcomes.
Remember, softening a new leather motorcycle jacket in the UK is essential to experience a comfortable and flexible road trip on a motorcycle. All these methods mentioned in this article are highly efficient and have shown their magic several times. But, as much as it is important to soften the jacket, maintaining the softness is also essential. Please pay attention to the maintenance by regularly cleaning and conditioning your jackets and using proper storage practices.